Orthodontic treatment can be successful for patients of all ages, and is no longer specific to teens. According to the American Association of Orthodontics, adults aged 21 and over account for up to 20-25% of patients currently receiving orthodontic care. Much of this is due in part because adults understand how important it is to maintain oral health and how it can affect physical appearance. Adults all over the world are taking advantage of the opportunity for excellent orthodontic care, and you can join them!
Orthodontics for Adults
Common Reasons Adults Seek Orthodontic Treatment:
- A deep bite, open bite, or underbite, that causes teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth which are too crowded or too spaced apart, which can result in tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth
- Cosmetic reasons, such as the desire for a prettier smile
There many benefits to adult orthodontic care:
- A more attractive smile
- Teeth that function more effectively
- Possible increase to one’s self-confidence
- Improved long-term health of teeth and gums
- Reduces the risk of injury to front protruding teeth
- Makes for easier cleaning of teeth
- Can optimize other dental treatment
What Makes the Difference Between Orthodontics in Adults and Orthodontic Care for Children?
The most influential difference is that in children, the jaw bone is still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss, aka Periodontal Disease – Adults are much more likely to experience gum recession and bone loss as a result of gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Adults who have straight teeth are at less risk of developing periodontal disease.
- The uneven or excessive wearing down of teeth, and missing teeth – orthodontic care is the only effective way to treat teeth that have become worn down or have shifted in position over time. Missing teeth can cause others to shift or tilt in their position, which can cause a bad bite and lead to increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment – many people begin orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but don’t complete the treatment prescribed to them by their orthodontist. Many adults choose to finish this treatment in order to maximize their oral health and to get the perfect smile they’ve always dreamed of.
Why Should You Look in to Orthodontics for Adults?
Regardless of your reason for seeking treatment, there are many reasons to commit to having this treatment done. Having straight, healthy teeth makes for easier dental care through daily brushing and flossing, which decreases a patient’s chance of developing periodontal disease and other dental health problems. An attractive, radiant smile can restore your confidence and boost your self-worth. And lastly but certainly not least in importance is that untreated mouths can turn into much bigger, complicated issues. Orthodontic treatment can prevent these costly long-term issues from arising or gaining traction.
To learn more about what orthodontics for adults can do for you, please give our Benton, IL, office a call at: 618.438.2815, or email us via our Contact Us form. We understand the busy schedules of our patients, and will do our best to find an appointment time convenient for you!
Braces For Adults