Last Updated on
Tooth brushing Mistake No.5: “Not Brushing Correctly”
Brushing the teeth correctly is fairly easy for people who are not wearing orthodontics or wearing Invisalign. Here’s how:
- Squeeze a pearl-sized drop of toothpaste on a soft-bristle brush.
- Angle the brush at around 45 degrees to the gum and gently move the brush in tiny circles over the tooth. Be careful to brush both the inner, outer and chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Use the brush vertically to reach the lingual side of the front teeth.
- Brush the tongue. This gets rid of the bacteria that cause bad breath.
Brushing the teeth while wearing traditional braces is a challenge. The orthodontist may recommend that they buy a sonic or electric toothbrush that can really clean around the braces and remove particles.
A person who chooses a regular toothbrush will have to use the brush with the bristles facing both up and down. They’ll also need a toothbrush that’s small, angled and flexible to reach all the places around the teeth that need cleaning.
- The patient should put their teeth together and start on the outer side of their bottom teeth.
- Brush the top teeth in circular motions.
- After that, brush the braces themselves. Each bracket should be cleaned for at least 25 to 30 seconds.
- Brush the inside of the teeth by moving the toothbrush in tiny circles along the top and bottom teeth. The tongue, gums and cheeks also need to be brushed or at least massaged to remove as much bacteria and plaque as possible.
- Check the teeth in the mirror, and remove any particles that were missed the first time.
The good thing about Invisalign is that the patient can take the tray out of their mouth before they perform their oral hygiene.
Schedule an Appointment
In Illinois, you visit Childers Orthodontics to have an examination to determine if you need to straighten your teeth. Dr. Kyle R. Childers offers his services to adults, teenagers and children in three locations that include:
After an evaluation of your mouth, our orthodontist can determine if you need to wear one of these types of devices:
Patients at Childers Orthodontics can also request the AcceleDent Aura system to reduce the amount of time required for their orthodontic treatment. Schedule an appointment online or by calling (618) 438-2815.
201 West Washington
Benton, IL 62812
Phone: (618) 438-2815