LAST UPDATED: APRIL 24, 2018
Treatment Time for Damon System
When braces were first invented back in 1728, they weren’t the most comfortable or subtle of treatments. In fact, the so-named “Father of Modern Orthodontics,” Pierre Fauchard, was famous for using forceps to move teeth where he wanted them to go – ouch!
Here at Childers Orthodontics, we are happy to report that today’s braces have come a very long way from those earliest of days. Today’s hardware is lightweight, streamlined, flexible and sometimes even near-invisible depending on placement and materials used!
The Damon System is one of the most popular orthodontic treatments offered today for all of these reasons and more.
What Is the Damon System?
The Damon System is a treatment that can be successfully used on patients of all ages. The modern, streamlined and sleek hardware make use of what is called “self-ligating” technology to reduce discomfort and shorten treatment times.
The term “self-ligating” means that the system is self-contained and requires no use of elastic bands or metal ties, both of which can cause abrasion and discomfort. The simple hardware consists of just two pieces: an archwire and brackets.
Each tooth gets its own individual bracket in either traditional metal or clear (these are nearly invisible!). The upper set of teeth gets one archwire and the lower set of teeth gets one archwire.
From here, the orthodontist makes small adjustments to ensure the teeth move into proper alignment in the shortest possible time period with the greatest possible comfort to the patient.
The Benefits of the Damon System
The Damon System has become popular over time as its benefits become more widely recognized.
These benefits are the same for all age patients but may be particularly appreciated in young patients, who often lack the patience to do the extra brushing and flossing and dietary/activity modifications required by traditional hardware.
Damon System benefits include (but are not limited to) these:
- The choice of metal or clear hardware allows for image-sensitive patients to choose the least visible treatment system.
- The system can treat mild or moderately severe malocclusions (misalignments) of teeth and bite.
- The hardware is very easy to clean and maintain, with far less brushing and flossing than with traditional hardware.
- Fewer orthodontist visits are required for adjustments and hardware repairs (on average, only half as many visits for traditional treatment, which also saves on drive time and expense of treatment).
- The overall treatment time tends to be shorter by as much as six months when compared to traditional orthodontic treatments.
- Treatment is much less invasive on average, with less discomfort, fewer abrasions to soft mouth tissues and less risk of damage to hardware through everyday activities.
- Often the need to extract teeth (for example, with issues of overcrowding) can be completely avoided with the Damon System.
- There is zero risk of swallowing any of the hardware (elastic bands, O-rings, metal ties) because the Damon System has no external additional parts.
- The result is the widest, healthiest and most balanced possible smile with exceptional tooth and jaw alignment.
- The much lighter weight hardware is not only comfier but places less pressure on teeth and helps to maintain optimal blood flow for fast treatment success.
Talking Treatment Times: How Fast is “Fast?”
It just stands to reason that any orthodontic patient will want to see the results of their treatment right away….and even yesterday, if possible!
After all, that is the whole reason orthodontia was invented: to give patients the chance to have the best oral health as well as a smile to be proud of and show off at every opportunity.
So how fast, exactly, is “fast?” With the Damon System, research has identified precisely how much faster this system can deliver treatment results than traditional (conventional) orthodontic treatment.
The average length of treatment time for conventional orthodontic treatment is 27.5 months, or two years and 3.5 months.
The average length of treatment time for Damon System treatment is 20.3 months, or one year and 8.3 months.
That is a difference of just over seven months! Here, it just makes sense why the Damon system, like the equally popular trailblazing Invisalign system of aligners, has become so popular and in demand among orthodontic patients.
That is seven months free from wearing orthodontic hardware, free from visiting the orthodontist for adjustments, free from wondering and waiting when you will finally have the perfect, beautiful smile you’ve been waiting to see!
Where to Start
If you want to learn more about the Damon System and find out if you are a good candidate, the first step is to schedule your consultation with Dr. Childers. Read on to find out how to do this!
Schedule an Appointment
In Illinois, you visit Childers Orthodontics to have an examination to determine if you need to straighten your teeth. Dr. Kyle R. Childers offers his services to adults, teenagers, and children in three locations that include:
After an evaluation of your mouth, our orthodontist can determine if you need to wear one of these types of devices:
Patients at Childers Orthodontics can also request the AcceleDent Aura system to reduce the amount of time required for their orthodontic treatment. Schedule an appointment online or by calling (618) 438-2815.
201 West Washington
Benton, IL 62812
Phone: (618) 438-2815